Wu Ming!

The new Wu Ming sculpts have been spoiled, and man...I'm glad I have a bit of extra cash floating around for the next few months.  These guys (and gals?) look fantastic.

Borrowed from Angel's Blog here
Combi-Rifle and E/Mitter - That is one cool new Combi.  I'm guessing the E/Mitter is underslung, but I really like the size of the new Yu Jing rifle.  The older one was nice, stylistically speaking, but it's always seemed so big compared to the non-power-armour models carrying it.  Hopefully this trend will continue with new Yu Jing models.

On a numbers basis, I think the Combi Wu Ming is just what the doctor/Imperial Agent ordered for a "cheap" fireteam filler.  The Boarding Shotgun was ok, but it wasn't a long-ranged threat by any means - in a fireteam, you're trying to maximize the amount of ARO shots your opponent is facing, and a Boarding Shotgun just doesn't have the distance to present a serious threat against something in Cover/with Mimetism or TO or ODD.  Maybe play experience will change my mind, but right now I'm really liking this loadout.

MULTI Rifle and Light Grenade Launcher - This looks like another underslung weapon, or maybe the LGL is hidden somewhere.  At any rate, it's nice to see that they've adopted the Crane's size/scale of MULTI weaponry for more models, and it's also very nice to see that the MULTI Wu Ming isn't in a potentially awkward pose.  I tend to like models that have their guns down in either a running or cease-fire stance - now that I think of it, this model's pose very closely resembles the pose of my T2 Rifle Veteran Kazak.

On the battlefield, I'm not sure how often I'd take this loadout.  I like the possibilities of the indirect template weapon, but that's almost 50 points dedicated to something that I probably won't be firing while the HMG is around.  That said, when the HMG bites the dust, this will probably end up becoming the fireteam leader, so I'll probably get a chance to try it out in a bunch of games before I decide whether I really love it...or really hate it.

HMG - Drool.  Finally.  This one's the money-shot.  I've held off on buying an Invincible HMG just because I'm a big fan of the penal legion/ISS feel (and hey, no Cube!), and I'm glad I did.  The weapon itself is intimidating without looking cumbersome, and the sculptor hasn't departed significantly from the style of the old HMG.  The butt's a little different, sure, but it makes it look less bulky and a bit more up-to-date.

On the table, this is my go-to model for a fireteam leader with the Wu Ming.  I even plan on using it in vanilla Yu Jing, just to have a relatively cheap Heavy Infantry HMG on-hand.  Finally, not having a Cube means I can bring it out against the Combined Army player who's just joined our meta without fearing his Sepsitor attacks.  Even if I didn't want the entire box, I'd be sorely tempted to get this guy on a split-box deal just because!

Light Rocket Launcher - Micro-missiles for the win!  I have to admit that this sculpt took me aback, but only for a few seconds.  The Light Rocket Launcher looks like a tricked-out drinking straw at first, but when you actually look at the details...it's a pretty impressive piece.  It's even got a brace for the Wu Ming's shoulder, and the model itself seems to be posed just after a shot.  Very cool.

In terms of rules, I'm not sure exactly what to think yet.  It's not the strongest of ARO weapons outside 16", and it weighs in at a whole 3 points more than the HMG...but at least there's a 1 SWC discount.  I think the model is very cool, though, and B3 Fire ammo (in a fireteam) isn't anything to scoff at...so yeah, maybe I'll throw it down on the table a few times, just to see how it does.

---

An awesome release for Yu Jing players, and ISS players in particular.  I can't wait for these suckers to hit the shelves!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year - and Updates!

Battle Report - Boudicca, Scourge of Rome VS Manfred Rochdale

The Devotee of Tezcatlipoca, the Smoking Mirror